Posts by Country

Friday, May 5, 2017

Back in Hong Kong!



On Wednesday, May 3rd, I went to the airport to catch a 15 hour direct flight to Hong Kong. It had been a couple years since my last visit but, aside from that, my return was largely for the purpose of attending a friend's wedding in Vietnam. Of course, Hong Kong is a friendly port for two reasons: it's cheaper to fly there and I have a good friend there who only just recently visited me in the states.



After a day of travel (factoring in time zones) I arrived. As I wandered the streets the next morning I found some familiar experiences. Egg tarts at the wet market bakery for about 2.5 HKD (30 cents), ice cream at McDonald's for 4 HKD (about 50 cents) and a cheeky Circle K lady with a fake smile calling me a mean name in Cantonese while assuming that I don't know what it means. Of course, it's always possible that I misunderstood but, considering how much swearing one hears while living in Hong Kong, I think I can tell the difference. I also stopped by the Ladies' Market (famous street market with stuff for everyone... not just ladies) on the way to my old high school where I used to teach - Lok Sin Tong Yu Kan Hing Secondary School.



As one of the most financially well endowed schools in Hong Kong, YKH had some new toys. Even when I was there before they had $10k talking/dancing robots and cutting edge studio equipment for campus TV. This time I found myself drinking a cup of coffee with a picture of my face printed on it while looking at one of two private aquariums as well as a set of 3D printers. Why 3D printers? Well, for printing pancakes of course!

Later that evening Chu Sum and I went to a home meeting then took off early so we could use his Groupon for a Korean BBQ buffet (above).

2 comments: