Posts by Country

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Life in Brissy

10/18/2012

The garden has sprouted! Today I went up to the shopping centre and got a couple pairs of cheapo headphones for $20 paying all in shrapnel (change) from my jug bank. Needless to say, this got me some funny looks from the attendants.

10/19/2012

Today I explored the Karawatha Forest with housemate Anita from Hong Kong. As we arrived we noticed there had been a bush fire. Thinking back to my last visit I remembered seeing some smoke plumes up in the trees where the Aussie dudes were hanging out - could they have started this?


Apparently, it was more likely caused by controlled burns, but you still have to wonder about those smoke plumes... At the quarry I swam across twice and we went up to the lookout. We ended up taking the scenic route which ended up being a lot more interesting than the usual route - completely different environments just up the way from where I usually turn back.

10/20/2012

Today I cooked up a steak and made biscuits aka scones - Australians call them scones, we Americans call them biscuits. Of course, Australians refer to cookies as biscuits... a bit of potential for confusion there.

10/21/2012

Today I went to the meeting then home where I cleaned followed by work where I cleaned some more. While I was at work my boss Jeff called me. A few days ago the day cleaner complained that I wasn't charging the scrubber but I knew I was, so I stopped using it. Sure enough, the day cleaner complained again today so when Jeff called to tell me that I needed to charge the scrubber properly I explained that I wasn't even using it anymore. Hopefully this will make the day cleaner think twice about blaming others the next time he has a problem with his equipment...

10/25/2012

Over the last few days I had another interview and Jeff offered me a new job. Unfortunately, the new job would be across town and doesn't work with my current schedule so I had to turn it down.

Today on my way to and from work I got honked at twice. Once while I was turning into Coles and again was I was turning onto the highway. Without any alternative bike path I have no choice but to ride in these places but people don't seem to understand that. In Adelaide people would yell, even circle around to do it again... here it's worse. Here I cycle (on the left hand side) to and from my job at Coles every evening and people completely lose it as if I'm some kind of deranged lunatic, "a push bike on the road - preposterous!"

10/27/2012

The garden is looking good; I went ahead and separated the corn to give them more space to grow. Later Ben paid me $10 to clean for his week of cleaning. Unfortunately, it seems that the cleaning has not been successful - we now have a rat problem... a big black one.

No comments:

Post a Comment